Most people will have noticed that I’ve been having a little bit of a break from my website and other social media platforms, but I am still very active in the kitchen and as passionate about food as ever. Also, in the past two weeks – five people have asked me about recipes and my website so…
To ‘crack’ my way back into food writing and recipe sharing – I thought, what better recipe than that of my trusty Frittata. Frittatas are what I like to call a savoury crustless Quiche – all the flavour without the hassle of making pastry.
Due to the nature of its versatility – this recipe is an ever evolving one. There are so many ways to adapt this recipe – depending on what you have in your fridge etc. Generally – some type of fat, cheese and vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon of olive/rapeseed oil
- ¼ of a large onion
- 1 ½ cup of diced mixed peppers
- 6 eggs (serves 4)
- 100g of Greek Feta
- 3 slices of chopped ham/bacon or ½ a cup of chorizo
I like to give plenty of options for this recipe so here are some suggestions –
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Grated cheddar cheese
- With a frittata, the first step is always to fry. So, in a medium frying pan – lightly fry the onion and peppers together. When the onions are translucent in colour, add the chosen fat. I used some nice ham for the one pictured. Fry these until the ham/bacon/chorizo starts to crisp a little.
- Whisk the eggs with some sea salt and pepper – and gently pour over the ingredients in the frying pan. Next, crumble the feta or cheddar over the top.
- Time to turn on the grill! Crank it up to the highest possible heat – while the bottom of your frittata sets on the hob. Check the sides of the frittata with a spatula – to make sure it’s setting nicely. This only takes a few minutes.
- With the handle of your frying pan facing outside the grill – put the pan under the grill heat. Watch your frittata rise, brown and completely set under the heat. It generally only takes about five minutes or so to set.
- Enjoy with a side of crunchy bread, some toast or a salad. It’s such a quick and easy meal for everyone to enjoy.