To celebrate National Vegetarian Week, I’ve come up with a really tasty Chilli Bean Burger that everyone can enjoy – even you hard core carnivores!
Bean burgers are a fantastic way of getting sneaky nutrients into your family’s diet – without compromising on taste. All of the ingredients listed and shown below have health benefits from omega 3 to fibre and protein. So, lets hope by the end of this week you can say – ”BeAn there, done that”!!
- 1 can/395g of Biona chilli beans
- 1 can/400g of drained and rinsed chick peas
- 1 tablespoon of light tahini paste
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of paprika (optianal)
- Some white or tapioca flour for shaping
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed/olive oil for frying
- Place all the ingredients (except for the flour) in a food processor and blend. I suggest doing it bit by bit if using a ninja or bullet.
- Prepare a well floured surface for the bean burgers. Add two tablespoons of flour into the bean burger mixture and stir it around to make it less wet and easier to handle.
- Start shaping your veggie patties in your hands – using extra flour if necessary.
- Place them onto the floured surface and then allow them to sit in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. This allows them to set, so there’s no breakage whilst frying.
- When the burgers are set, heat your oil over a medium to high heat and cook the burgers for about 5 minutes on each side.
Serve burgers in a seeded bun with some home made ketchup, mayonnaise or my chilli Greek yogurt sauce (Greek yogurt mixed with some spicy sriracha sauce). Alternatively, you can serve them in pita pockets or on a bed of salad.